What is Laser Hair Therapy?
Laser Hair Therapy is a non-surgical scientific approach to treating hair loss, thinning hair, baldness and problems associated with the scalp.
The non-surgical treatments utilize low light level laser. The treatment delivers light energy to increase the blood flow to the scalp. The laser therapy functions on the same scientific principal of that of photo biotherapy; where the laser light stimulates cell metabolism and causes damaged cells to be repaired.
This non-invasive technology has been used successfully in Europe for over 10 years and is being hailed today as a major break-through in combating hair loss. Laser light therapy was first tested in Europe over fifteen years ago.
What causes hair loss or thinning hair?
Hair loss is a natural, daily occurrence. On average, 100 hairs are lost each day. When hair loss significantly exceeds growth, baldness occurs. In 95% of men, hair loss is an inherited trait, caused by genetics. Until recently, it was believed hair loss in men was inherited only from the mother’s father. It is now understood that baldness genes are passed down from both sides of the family. People are born with a predetermined number of hair follicles; the number never changes. While a child is in the womb, hair follicles are genetically coded. If the genes responsible for hair loss are present during this time, hair follicles are made sensitive to the hormone Dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
Miniaturization Caused by DHT
As men approach adulthood, the amount of DHT in the body increases, causing the follicles to cease producing hair. This process is known as androgenetic alopecia, or male pattern baldness. In androgenetic alopecia, hair follicles that are producing healthy hairs begin to produce shorter, thinner, more brittle hairs. Eventually, these follicles produce only fine, almost invisible, short hairs or they stop completely. This process is called “miniaturization.” (To find out more about other causes of hair loss, such as those listed below contact us.)
• Postpartum Changes
• Menopausal Changes
• Excessive Chemical Processing
What are the benefits of laser hair therapy?
• Increases blood supply to the scalp.
• Stops the progression of hair loss in 85% of the patients.
• Stimulates regrowth of hair.
• Repairs and improves hair shaft quality.
• Dramatically prolongs the life of hair color and perms.
• Relieves irritating scalp conditions.
Who is the best candidate for Laser Hair Therapy?
More than just genetically inherited pattern hair loss. Women specifically are susceptible to sudden hair loss triggered by hormonal imbalance, thyroid conditions, childbirth, new use or change in methods of contraception, and certain medications.
Women may also, like men, experience hair loss due to auto-immune disorders, recent physical and/or emotional trauma (such as surgery or a car accident), fungal infections of the scalp, and environmental factors (poor diet, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, toxins in the body).
No treatment program or device will ever offer perfect results for each and every individual.
Typically, patients may observe the following results;
1. No change of condition: No stop or slowing of hair loss, no hair regrowth observed.
2. Stabilisation of condition: Loss of hair has substantially slowed or stopped completely. No regrowth observed
3. Restoration of hair: Hair loss has stopped, and existing hair appears more healthy, thicker and fuller.
4. Regrowth of hair: Loss of hair has stopped, existing hair appears more healthy, ticker and fuller. New hair regrowth has been observed.
The most important factor that dictates what result you can expect (1-4 above) is essentially how long you have been losing your hair, plus other factors such as hereditary conditions, genetics, general health, hormones etc. As a rough guide our statistics have shown;
1. Hair loss over 7 years has no real benefit from LLLT technology, if hair follicles have been dormant for this time, they have likely been reabsorbed into the body and must be replaced by a hair transplant, no amount of laser energy can solve this problem
2. Hair loss between 5-7 years has a low chance of achieving strong results.
3. Hair loss between 3-5 years has a much better chance of achieving strong results
4. Hair loss < 3 years responds best to laser therapy.
Is laser hair therapy safe?
Yes! The energy produced by the photons does not have the thermal component to cause thermal injuries to users or operators. Laser light energy does not change or alter molecular structures; it stimulates the body’s mechanism to repair and heal itself.
Treatments are required 2-3 times weekly for twelve weeks. At that point a reassessment is done. Depending on several factors 1-3 courses of therapy may be required.
How much does it cost and what is included in the price?
Low level laser therapy for hair restoration is available only as a package. Since we customize each person’s treatment plan, we offer it at a set price. As we tend to want immediate results with anything we do, we feel it is to your benefit to pay up front so that you are more likely to continue through with the entire program. The cost for the twelve week program is $1800.